"Using graded readers with learners of any age must be given as much importance as the use of any coursebook. In some schools, graded reader programs have replaced coursebook-based teaching altogether."
What is Extensive Reading?
"Reading is boring!"
"Students usually tell you that reading is boring. Well if someone gave you a book you didn't choose or really understand, forced you to finish it over six months whilst bombarding you with comprehension questions - how would you feel? And how would you feel after 10+ years of this at school? It can change. You can change it. You have to change it.
I run workshops and give conference talks all over the world, about getting students (and teachers!) back into reading - with amazing, lasting results. Drop me a line if you would like to know more.
Teachers - how much are you reading...?
Don't have time? We all have time. It's how we choose to spend the time that makes the difference. We can only motivate our learners to read, if we read ourselves, and talk about books and stories more. We are role models.
And students know that most teachers don't read, and that their parents don't read either. So they are thinking - why should we read? And who can blame them!
Start reading again. Here's how:
- Choose a book you've been wanting to read because 'there's no time'
- Read 4 pages in the morning (on a bus, in a queue, stop looking at your phone!)
- Then read 4 pages later the same day sometime. Make it happen.
- That's only 10+ mins per day. And this is for pleasure, remember! Stories!
- For a 200-page novel that's one novel per month!
START TODAY AND ENJOY YOUR BOOKS AGAIN!